Date:      Thu, 16 Jan 1997 13:48:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      batie@aahz.jf.intel.com (Alan Batie)
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com (Amancio Hasty)
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: realaudio player

> What exactly are you trying to do?

Make a mountain out of a molehill, it sounds like.  The vic sender is a
data source for some tests and at least part of the problem was a
misunderstanding of the operation of the little interior window (i.e.
vic says it's sending out 30fps, but that's not what it shows).  It was
prompted by various test receivers asking "can't you get the bitrate
higher?"  When I crank the slider up to max, it peaks at around 280Kbps,
so I have to answer "no" and they go away thinking "what a puny machine".

Now that the question has gotten the spotlight on it however, I'm wondering
if it's just that vic can't figure out a reason to put out more data.
Perhaps that's just all that's changing, since it's just a camera pointed
at a lab.  I am ignoring the case when there's no one there --- the data
rate drops to 175K or less when it's just staring at static monitors.  The
280+Kbps rate is with people moving around, waving arms, etc.

Maybe I'll hook a vcr up with an action movie and see what happens...

--
Alan Batie                     ------        What goes up, must come down.
batie@aahz.jf.intel.com        \    /        Ask any system administrator.