Date:      Sun, 26 Nov 1995 00:57:38 -0500
From:      "David R. Bixby" <bix@otcinc.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   HELP! Can't get geometry set on 9GB Seagate

I am having problems installing a 9GB Seagate ST410800N drive.

The boot disk is a Seagate 1GB and works fine. The controller is an
Adaptek AHA2940. I've tried "scsi-select" translation enabled and
disabled and neither seems to work. When I run fdisk to partition
the drive I get a message:
renoir# fdisk sd1
******* Working on device /dev/rsd1 *******
parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
cylinders=131523 heads=27 sectors/track=5 (135 blks/cyl)

 Figures below won't work with BIOS for partitions not in cyl 1
parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
cylinders=131523 heads=27 sectors/track=5 (135 blks/cyl)

Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
Information from DOS bootblock is:
The data for partition 0 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 1 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 2 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 3 is:
<UNUSED>
renoir#

Creating a partition and running disklabel causes a panic shutdown.
Help!!! Any thoughts/advice/solutions appreciated in advance.

bix

*  David R. Bixby                                                *
*  Object Technology Consultants, Inc.                           *
*  1025 Golf Estates Drive                                       *
*  Woodstock, Ga. 30189                                          *
*  voice: (770) 926-3510                                         *
*  fax:   (770) 926-0721                                         *
*  e-mail: bix@otcinc.com                                        *