Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 2003 19:32:29 -0600
From:      Len Conrad <LConrad@Go2France.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Maximum recommended user limits on mail server

>A person I know is looking to have a mail server with 10K-15K
>accounts and 50 virtual domains.

>Any pointers to references or a quick summary of your server
>for systems which match the above would be appreciated.

You've got some good pointers on the mailbox servers, but nobody talked
about an multi-box architecture, which is the key to scaleability and
reliability.

1. dedicated box as SMTP gateway.

2. dedicated AV box

3. mailbox server, muchly liberated because no anti-mail abuse, no DNS
query delay, no retrying of delayed mail, no AV scanning, and 50+% of the
inbound mail rejected at the envelope by 1.

The performance key to all three is, given enough RAM to avoid all
swapping, in disk i/o. With separate controllers+disks for logging,
mailqueue, and mailbox storage.   And you need RAID (internal redundancy)
only on boxes where you can't have external redundancy (the MX boxes done't
need RAID).

and RAID1 not RAID5.

Len