Date:      Sat, 06 Mar 1999 19:16:14 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Reading a file inside the kernel.

"Matthew N. Dodd" wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Mar 1999, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:
> > Would something like what splash_bmp do be ok with you? It delegates
> > to loader the responsibility of loading the file (ie, expects it to be
> > loaded already).
>
> If thats all I've got to work with then it will have to do.

Actually, I think there is some way to read a file. I vaguely
remember such discussions in the past. But I recall it is very
messy.

But all I am doing is presenting alternatives.

> The file I need to read is a firmware image for a network device that
> cannot be attached until the firmware is loaded.
>
> I would like to use something like splash_bmp to load a config file that
> specifys a vendor ID/cookie, an image type, offset, and filename.
>
> The driver would parse this config file and would load the appropriate
> firmware image for each card it detects.
>
> Due to licensing issues, firmware licensed for use with a particular
> vendor card may not be used with cards from a different vendor, though
> there is no technical reason why the same image can be used (that I know
> of so far.)
>
> Obviously, I could pre-load all the firmware images available but this
> seems wasteful.  In addition, I would like the ability to upgrade the
> firmware on a card without bringing down the system.  While I might make a
> device node to pipe the firmware image to the card once the system is up,
> giving the driver the ability to request and load the firmware image on
> demand would be nicer.

You can unload them if you find they are not needed.

I can see your point, though. :-)

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"FreeBSD is Yoda, Linux is Luke Skywalker."