Date:      Fri, 04 Apr 1997 04:18:55 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Lee McLoughlin <lmjm@doc.ic.ac.uk>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Things moving around on ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD

>>    We don't have Veritas available and I'm not willing to use CCD due to
>> too high a drive failure rate.
>
>CCD?

   "Concantenated Disk" driver. It's a pseudo disk device that lets one
create simple volume sets from individual disk drives. It is usually used to
create large pseudo disks from an array of smaller ones. It has no 'parity'
bit or other volume fault tolerance mechanisms, however, so if one drive
fails you lose the entire volume.

>> Look, if
>> people can just deal with this for the short term, we'll eventually move
>> FreeBSD to a 9GB drive and this will be a non-issue again.
>
>Sorry if you felt I was trying to get at you, or something.  Its just
>from
>past experience I've found these things help.

   sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk does indeed look impressive. It's obvious that
someone has spent a lot of money on it. :-) ...we have to work with what
we have, however, and I think our current operations and policies are
generally working well.

-DG

David Greenman