Date:      Mon, 09 Feb 1998 20:07:30 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        george <vagner@ti.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: JNOS

> I am wondering if anyone has ever tried running JNOS packet bbs on
> FreeBSD.?
>
> I see it running on a Linux machine...

For those who don't know, JNOS and TNOS are derivatives of the original
KA9Q NET and NOS code which implemented its own IP world in a single
DOS executable. While used for many other things, it became the basis
for experimenting with IP over amateur radio.

TNOS 2.22 (or was it 2.23?) (http://www.lantz.com) was the last version
I submitted FreeBSD patches direct to the author. Mostly they were
retained in TNOS 2.30 but its a couple of unresolved references away
from a clean FreeBSD compile.

I started back on TNOS 2.30 this weekend and got distracted discovering
the inner workings of the FreeBSD ports system. Maybe we'll have a
FreeBSD port of TNOS soon.

Also got distracted working on the One Biggest Problem of connecting the
TNOS IP world to the FreeBSD kernel's IP world. Linux systems use SL/IP
thru a pty pair, slattach from the kernel side, and let TNOS attach to
one (which one? slave or master? I forget) of the pty's. FreeBSD's pty's
don't support all the ioctl's FreeBSD's slattach issues. So that doesn't
work.

Was playing with /dev/tun0. "hd /dev/tun0" and then using ifconfig on
tun0, and pinging thru the interface was a kick. It worked! But there
are 2 problems, TNOS knows SL/IP not tun, but worst of all FreeBSD
refuses to allow any but root to read/write /dev/tun0. Permissions on
the device don't matter, the kernel double checks and refuses to operate
if the process connected to /dev/tun0 is not root. IMHO a program such
as TNOS has no business running as root so a minimal setuid-root buffer
process is needed. Maybe same process should fake SL/IP? But then how to
connect it to TNOS? Thru pty's! And we're back to the original SL/IP
problem. Probably would be best/easiest to write a new slattach.

/dev/tun0 offers some real attractive prospects for IP over amateur
radio. Simply reframe the output of /dev/tun0 into KISS format and dump
it on the TNC. Same for TNC output, strip the KISS framing and dump it
on /dev/tun0. Then start wondering how to adjust the IP timers thru the
/dev/tun interface... more time spend reading ppp code. And not
writting code.

And that's what I did this weekend.