Date:      Sat, 3 Nov 2001 14:19:19 +0200 (EET)
From:      Adrian Penisoara <ady@warpnet.ro>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   IBM PC330 server freeze on boot install

Hi,

  I'm having a hard time trying to install FreeBSD on a IBM PC330 server
(dual MP motherboard with one Pentium Pro 200Mhz, 96Mb RAM, AIC-7880P SCSI
chipset directly connected to the SCSI array with 3 x IBM 4Gb disks and an
IBM SCSI CDROM, no ServeRAID controller).

  Whenever I boot (either from floppy or from CDROM) the kernel hangs on
"Waiting 15seconds for disks to settle" (no CapsLock/NumLock response).
Booting verbose yelds no significant messages (it gets to the
"noperif:ahc0:0:-1:-1" message and hangs).

  I have been able to succefully install RedHat and Debian Linux on the
machine; NetBSD boots too (though I haven't yet tried to install). It's
clear something is wrong with the FreeBSD drivers.

  Searching the mailling lists I saw other people accuse the very same
problem. Is there anything it can be done ? Any way I can help debug this
issue ?

 Thank you,
 Ady (@warpnet.ro)