Date:      Fri, 20 May 2005 00:03:45 +0200
From:      Willy Picard <picard@kti.ae.poznan.pl>
To:        Christopher Nehren <apeiron+usenet@coitusmentis.info>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Eclipse

Welcome.

I am answering this email for two reasons. First, the answer which has been sent
by Christopher is arrogant. It is obvious that when somebody is sending some
message on the list to ask for help, it is usually to ... ask for help.
And, to my best knowledge, being arrogant has _never_ helped anyone. Second, the
answer is not only arrogant but erroneous (cf. below). So if you plan to be
arrogant towards others, be at least sure to give the good info...

On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 08:59:40PM +0000, Christopher Nehren wrote:
> On 2005-05-19, dR scribbled these
> curious markings:
> > From reading the Eclipse documentation, I take it that
> > it must be installed in  Linux compatibility mode.
> That is an utterly laughable, literally preposterous, and downright
> wrong statement. You *can't* run Eclipse in Linux compatibility mode
> because it's not a Linux executable. It's also not a FreeBSD executable.
> It's JVM bytecode.
FYI, only a part of Eclipse is written in Java (JVM bytecode). However, a large
part of Eclipse (such as for instance SWT, the graphical widget library) is
OS-dependant. This is why you can dowload versions of Eclipse for Windows and
Linux, among others. So the statement written above _is not_ "utterly laughable,
literally preposterous, and downright wrong"!

To my best knowledge, the Eclipse port for FreeBSD is not using Linux
compatibility but runs "natively", without emulation.

Regards.

Willy Picard
--
Willy Picard                        e-mail: picard@kti.ae.poznan.pl