Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 1999 16:08:30 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Odd TCP glitches in new currents

On 1999-Dec-23 15:12:53 +1100, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com> wrote:
>  In fact, while its
>    running in the background I am *still* getting TCP stutters and tcpdump
>    still shows one machine sending a packet that the other machine never
>    gets!  I have no friggin clue as to why TCP packets fail when UDP packets
>    don't.

If the problem shows up at 10baseX speeds, you could try setting up a
10base2 network comprising the two test machines and a third machine
as a sniffer.  The thinwire will allow an independent sniffer without
introducing any other hardware (like hubs) that might affect the
results.  If you suspect a s/w problem, have the sniffer run different
s/w (a commercial LAN analyser if you have one available, otherwise
maybe something non-FreeBSD).

This should allow you to identify whether it's a transmit or receive
problem.

Peter