Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 2000 13:00:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/22704: cyrus and cyrus-sasl both install pwcheck startup scripts, only cyrus-sasl installs pwcheck

The following reply was made to PR ports/22704; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To: "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>
Cc: <stb@FreeBSD.ORG>, <FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 14:56:44 -0600

 From: "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>
 > On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 01:03:54PM -0600, Scot W. Hetzel wrote:
 > > You don't need to worry about customizations to the pwcheck.sh as there
 is
 > > nothing to configure in that script, its only purpose is to start the
 > > pwcheck daemon, no options are passed.
 >
 > I disagree ... I often have changes to make such to scripts locally.

 What local changes do you need to make to pwcheck.sh?

 > > You can always do a "chmod -x /usr/local/etc/rc.d/pwcheck.sh" so it
 doesn't
 > > execute on the next boot.
 >
 > That's backwards.  We ought to have a guideline in the Porter's handbook
 > about this.  Actually, I believe that section 15.18 applies here.

 No, it doesn't apply as pwcheck.sh is not a configuration file.

 > > I have submitted a patch to the maintainer and PR 22465 (11/1) that
 removes
 > > cyrus.sh from mail/cyrus as it is no longer required by this port.
 Could
 > > one of the commiters have a look at PR 22465 and commit it, as I haven't
 > > seen a response from stb@FreeBSD.ORG on this problem.
 >
 > This is also backwards.  cyrus-sasl does not need to start pwcheck --
 > cyrus-imap does.

 No this is not backwards. Other software require the pwcheck daemon to be
 running, so that they can use the SASL library for authentication (sendmail,
 and postfix for AUTH support in these mail servers).

 Scot