Date:      Mon, 23 Dec 2002 15:57:38 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Andrew Gordon <arg-bsd@arg1.demon.co.uk>
To:        Aaron Wohl <freebsd@soith.com>
Cc:        <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: usb 2 or firewire in stable?

On Mon, 23 Dec 2002, Aaron Wohl wrote:

> Is anyone using usb 2 or fireware in 4.7 stable?  If so how?  I need one
> or the other to do backups to an external disk.  The machine is a
> production machine tho so I cant really go to current yet.  I tried some
> usb 2 cards.  They show up as usb 1 cards and work ok but only at usb 1
> speeds.

I am using firewire to do exactly that.  Cheap firewire cards in all my
machines, couple of 180G external firewire hard drives as the storage
media.  I put a normal filesystem on the drive, then run 'dump' through
gzip to create backups.

Firewire support has been in -stable for a few months now.  It works well
in general; throughput is good, the only problems I have run into relate
to error handling under fault conditions (at one point I had a loose
power connection on a drive, which lead to lock-ups rather than more
graceful error handling).