Date:      Mon, 17 Apr 1995 10:44:51 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   compiler warnings for building GENERIC kernel

I'd like all warnings from all system makes to be fixed for 2.1.

`make depend' in sys/compile/GENERIC current produces the following error
output:

>mv: .depend: set owner/group: Operation not permitted

This is because `mkdep' creates a temporary file in /tmp, and /tmp has
group bin so the temporary has group bin, and I'm not in group bin so
I can't move the temporary to my GENERIC directory without losing the
group.

I don't know of a good fix.  Inheriting the group from the parent directory
seems to be completely wrong for temporary files.

`make' in sys/compile/GENERIC currently produces the following error output:

>../../i386/isa/if_le.c:805: warning: large integer implicitly truncated to unsigned type
>../../i386/isa/if_le.c:808: warning: large integer implicitly truncated to unsigned type

I will fix this in a few minutes.

Bruce