Date:      Mon, 19 Jul 2004 12:55:45 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Web Walrus (Robert Wall)" <custpriv@web-walrus.com>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        Nelis Lamprecht <nelis@8ball.co.za>
Subject:   Re: Routing issue

> > It's not on the same network; that's the problem.  Two complete separate
> > networks, same interface card.  The issue is that one of the networks
> > works, and the other doesn't, depending on what network the default router
> > happens to be on.
>
> In general, you're going to need a mechanism for dynamically routing
> packets in order to make this sort of setup work.  For most setups,
> you'ld need the co-operation of your ISP to make things work as well.

The situation is this - there are 4 servers that are on one network.  I'm
trying to switch them over to another network, but I need to do it without
downtime.  Therefore, I need to have both IPs completely active and
functional simultaneously.

Would the situation be any easier if I put one of the networks on a
separate NIC?

Is there any way to determine what IP/interface a connection came in on,
and continue to use that IP/interface for the outbound packets?  Maybe
with static routes or something of that nature?

The thing is, I used this exact setup (albeit on two different network
cards) on a FreeBSD 2.x box quite a ways back, for the same purpose
(switching networks), and it was working fine.