Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2000 12:34:54 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Chad O. Thompson" <cothomps@visi.com>
To:        Matt Bettinger <mattb@finsyn.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Internal Modems

On Mon, 28 Aug 2000, Matt Bettinger wrote:

> Hello,
>
> While still waiting for DSL to be available in our area I thought I'd get a
> modem for my FreeBSD computer to mess around with.  I picked up a Smartlink
> 56k internal modem before work and was wondering if it would work? (if it
> doesn't no big deal cost me 20 bucks).  Should I return it and get a cheap-o
> external off the net or will this internal one work?

After my experience with an internal modem, I recommend finding an
external, if financially possible.  You'll find an external is absolutely
painless to set up and get working correctly.

I can recommend the 3Com/USR 5686, which set up easily, and performs
pretty well.  (I'm going to work on the 'Fax' portion with HylaFAX at some
point..)  However, this one does not meet the 'cheap-o' standard by any
means: purchased at Best Buy for $99.