Date:      Wed, 4 Jun 1997 22:56:44 -0400
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tty_snoop: why check uid?

>>Why does the snp device check to make sure that the user invoking it
>>is root, instead of letting the admin set the permissions on the
>>device to whatever he feels appropriate?
>I think it is because system-supported security holes should be as
>small as possible.

An admin has to explicitly change the permissions to enable this
hole.  I have a button that says, "Unix doesn't stop you from doing
stupid things because that would stop you from doing clever things."

Cheers,
joelh

--
http://www.wp.com/piquan --- Joel Ray Holveck --- joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu
All my opinions are my own, not the Free Software Foundation's.

Second law of programming:
Anything that can go wrong wi
sendmail: segmentation violation -- core dumped