Date:      Wed, 3 Apr 1996 11:02:50 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        Brett_Glass@ccgate.infoworld.com (Brett Glass)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, bde@zeta.org.au, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hacked kernel with option to disable "green" mode

> > Actually "fixing" the problem requires making the driver aware of drive
> > spin downs and making it deal with it transparently instead of screwing
> > up by passing an error to higher level code.
>
> This is one way to solve the problem. However, disabling spindowns is also
> a viable solution. Why not offer both?

Uh... because it's impossible to offer the spindown disabling safely
in a drive/controller independent fashion?

The 0xFB for the Seagate is not the same as is used by all other "green"
hard disks, if they even support it in the first place...

> > Disabling the spindown is not what I'd call "making the code 'green
> > aware'"...
>
> No, but it is both a performance enhancement and a way to ensure that
> things work.

That's the problem... it can't ensure this because you can't send the
command reliably.

But you can reliably recover from a spin-down, if your disk driver
has been written correctly.

So the generic soloution must be to recover from spindown, not to
disable it.

> That's why I'd propose using config flags -- so that the system will be
> able to perform adequately during installation and immediately thereafter
> -- AND a utility that could change the setting later on. Both could be
> based on some of the kernel hacking I've already done here.

This works for Seagates for people who have multiple systems so that
they can build kernels.

This *is* better than the situation before, but it effectively leaves
a lot of wires sticking out of the case.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.