Date:      Wed, 25 Nov 2009 12:08:38 -0500
From:      Adam K Kirchhoff <adamk@voicenet.com>
To:        Robert Noland <rnoland@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org, Oliver Lehmann <lehmann@ans-netz.de>
Subject:   Re: ATI HD5850 support?

On Wednesday 25 November 2009 11:58:03 Robert Noland wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-11-25 at 11:36 -0500, Adam K Kirchhoff wrote:

> > > Ok, since it is hard right now to get a HD5850 anyway I guess I have to
> > > wait until at least digital output is working (digital out and dual
> > > monitor support i need at least).
> > > Is there a place where I could "monitor" if the drivers gets updated
> > > with rv8xx support?
> > >
> > > http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-radeonhd
> > >
> > > There? Or would it be a "patchset" at first anyway so it won't pop up
> > > there?
> >
> > It will probably happen with the 'radeon' driver first, which is here:
> >
> > http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati
> >
> > And it will most likely get added to git as soon as it's available for
> > testing.
> >
> > You could also keep an eye on phoronix:
> >
> > http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=home
> >
> > They tend to post on major updates to video drivers in the *nix world.
>
> Right, I was mostly only referencing kernel side support, not userland.
>
> robert.

Right, and I was just thinking 2D modesetting :-)

So, to summarize, hopefully once r8xx modesetting is enabled in the xf86-
video-ati driver, it will compile/work on FreeBSD without any extra effort.
2D acceleration (including EXA and Xv) will require kernel support, which will
need to be written for Linux first and then ported over by rnoland.

Adam