Date:      Thu, 5 Oct 1995 11:40:41 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
Subject:   Re: Flaky reboot problem with this SP3G board

On Oct 4, 19:38, Brian Tao wrote:
} Subject: Flaky reboot problem with this SP3G board
} On Tue, 3 Oct 1995, David Greenman wrote:
} >
} >    Try just pressing "Enter". The machine actually does a 'halt', not a
} > reboot, and it needs a <return> before it will reboot. I don't think virtual
} > console switching works at this stage, either, which explains why the machine
} > appears dead.
}
}     I hit Enter at first, then spacebar, then I tried the switch
} virtual consoles, etc.  But after some more fiddling last night, I
} think it just might be the hardware itself.  The machine was rebooted
} five times after I did the installation last night.  Twice it hung as
} I described, twice it rebooted itself properly and once it cleared the
} screen (as if to reboot) and then stayed there.  After hitting the
} hardware reset, I get a message saying the CMOS checksums don't match
} (or something) and that it was reloading the factory defaults.  Is
} this a bad BIOS revision problem, or bad memory, or what?

My SP3G doesn't reboot reliable anymore,
after I installed a cheap SoundBlaster
clone.

I've got to hit reset in about three out
of four reboots ...

Didn't have time to check for the reaon.
Might the kernel debugger still be able
to give reasonable output in such a case ?

Regards, STefan

--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160