Date:      Tue, 09 Nov 1999 08:00:19 -0600
From:      Chris Csanady <cc@137.org>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        Jon Smith <jonsmith@physics.purdue.edu>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sigma Designs pleads impossible :(

Amancio Hasty wrote:

> > With regard to using the Hollywood Plus under NON-Windows environments, I
> > finally got Sigma Designs to say the following:
> >
> > Hi,
> > Our engineers were working on it, after many unsuccessful trials they found
> > out that it is not possible to use the EM8300 chip for that purpose.
> > Sorry but that is not possible.
> > Thank you,
> > mc
> >
> > I would call that pretty well as defective as a WIN-modem.
>
> What is em8300 chip and are they any pointers to a datasheet?

In my opinion, their cards suck.  I actually tried one out, but you can't run
it at even a moderate resolution without serious video degredation.  Even
with good cables, I think the pass through solution is not acceptable.

Unless you like to run at 800x600 or less, you will probably want to purchase
a graphics card with an integrated dvd decoder instead.  I think it would be
much more worthwhile to support these..

Chris