Date:      Sat, 16 Sep 1995 11:25:30 -0700
From:      Paul Traina <pst@shockwave.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   looking for REALLY good hardware diagnostics

I've got two systems, one an early-model pentium, the other a Cx486DLC both
experiencing the occasional odd failure when running under FreeBSD and I want
to double-check the hardware on these machines.

(Yes, I know about the cache weirdness on the 486DLC, I've even disabled the
 internal cache completely as part of my testing).

I think the Pentium either has a bad CPU (likely) or a bad cache chip (unlikely)
and the DLC either has a bad cache chip (likely) or bad dram (unlikely).

Does anyone have ANY pointers whatsoever to a really really really good and
thorough set of diagnostics that could be used to check for hardware faults?

Specificly, anything that can be used to diagnose external caches, memory,
(and in the case of the pentium, perform cpu diagnostics) would be cool.

Paul