Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 2002 16:34:03 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jamie Ostrowski <jamie@getsetnet.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problem with Starting httpd on FreeBSD

    I am building a new web server for an ISP, and I am having trouble
getting Apache to start up automatically when the machine comes up.
I am running FreeBSD 4.5 RELEASE on a 1GHz PIII. I have installed
apachectl in /usr/local/etc/rc.d, and set it to 755. I can start apache
from the command manually in that directory like this:

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/apachectl start

  and it comes up just fine.

  It does take about 15 seconds for it to start as there are a couple
hundred virtual hosts it is starting up. Is init giving up after a certain
length of time, before apachectl has time to finish firing up httpd? If
so, is there a way this can be configured? I can't seem to locate any
documentation that covers this specific problem. Thanks.

    - Jamie