Date:      Fri, 13 Feb 1998 09:30:20 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan Sm rgrav)
Cc:        freebsd-install@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Questions to the gurus :)

> On the functional side, I'm thinking about a system of .inf files
> which specify the name, location and size of each distribution, as
> well as the long description, dependencies etc. (hmmm... perhaps we
> could even use the pkg format for the distributions...) With some

Sort of - you can't afford the temp space to make them *actual*
packages or I'd have done this already. :-) Also, you'd be amazed at
how much info is in the already-existing foo.mtree files that
accompany every distribution.  I've always thought that I should write
a function which groked mtree files so that sysinstall could just
slurp them in along with the .inf files and derive a complex "packing
list" from the info therein.  Things like long and short descriptions
could go in the existing .inf files = you can have attributes with
newlines easily just by saying:

long_descr={
this is
a long description which will
be folded into a single string with newlines
by release/sysinstall/attrs.c :)
}

> I'm also thinking about moving more of the dirty work out of the
> installer and into backends. I haven't RTFS very closely, but I did
> notice that ftp is implemented directly into sysinstall. How much

It used to be, but not anymore.  It's actually just calling libftpio
for all its services - you'd be reinventing the wheel.  That's also
the same library fetch() calls, though it implements http xfers
internally.  Not *too* much call for those in sysinstall (yet),
fortunately.

> I also have some concerns about the interface. Previous versions of
> sysinstall are rumoured to work well with screen readers, and that's a
> feature I feel I should keep, but I have no idea of how these
> thingumabobs work.

I think as long as you move the cursor sanely, you're OK.  Max
could tell you more, obviously.

> Same goes for support for serial consoles of varying arcanity
> (arcaneness? sp?) - I think sysinstall should support as many
> terminals as possible (headless

Just don't break vt100 support or add any evil assumptions about running
on a VTY and you should be OK. :)

> How concerned should I be about screen size? Can I safely assume no
> resizing will take place? Can I safely assume that the screen will be
> at least 60 columns wide, and at least 15 or 20 lines tall?

Both safe assumptions.

> Is libdialog a big win, or is it OK to code directly against
> libncurses?

Whichever makes you happier - both approaches can be said to suck,
just in different ways. :-)

					Jordan