Date:      Thu, 4 Dec 1997 19:23:54 -0600 (CST)
From:      Kyle Mestery <mestery@winternet.com>
To:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
Cc:        Ivar Hosteng <ivar@romulus.hosteng.org>, smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.0-current SMP kernel gives a pagefault in kernel mode

On Thu, 4 Dec 1997, Steve Passe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > After cvsup'ing FreeBSD 3.0-current and doing a make world followed by a
> > kernel remake the new kernel refuses to boot.
> >
> > The cvsup was done thursday 4 at 13:00 GMT.
> >
> > The kenel gives a kernel panic stating a pagefault while in kernel mode
> > after reporting real memory, but before reporting available memory.
> >
> > I am running a dual PPro 200Mhz system on a PR440FX motherboard.
>
> I updated my world on:
>  Dec  3 11:50 MST LOGS/standard-971203a
>
> With the exception of the gnu runtime lib, I had to make no changes.
> Am running the system now on exactly the same motherboard with no problems...
> --

I updated my kernel at 6:30AM CST this morning.  Both a UP and an SMP
kernel page fault very early in the boot process.

Kyle Mestery
StorageTek's Network Systems Group
7600 Boone Ave. N., Minneapolis, MN 55428
mesteka@anubis.network.com, mestery@winternet.com

"You do not greet Death, you punch him in the throat
repeatedly until he drags you away."	--No Fear