Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 1999 22:34:38 -0400
From:      Benjamin George <BenG@thekeyboard.com>
To:        kellutz@telusplanet.net
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Connecting to ISP Problems

I doubt that the problem is having FreeBSD and Winblows 95 on the computer.
It sounds like it is in the DNS lookup, or the PPP config files.  In your
/etc/ppp/ppp.linkup file you should have some lines like:

MYADDR: # or 'your_isp_name:', if you connect using "ppp -ddial
your_isp_name" (or ppp -auto or whatever).
 delete ALL
 add 0 0 HISADDR

That will make sure that you have a gateway address to your isp.  When I
installed 3.1-Release, there was a comment that said this wasn't needed
anymore, but it didn't work without it for me.  If that doesn't work, it's
probably in your DNS lookup (does it take a long time for it to tell you
that it can't find the domain name, or does it pop up right away?).

Patrick Lutz wrote:

> I have a machine that has both Windows95 and UNIX installed at home.  In
> Windows, the modem works fine and I have no problems connecting to my
> ISP.  In UNIX, however, I seem to have a problem connecting with my ISP
> properly.  ppp is configured and seems to be working, dials the modem
> and logs me into the system.
>
> However, when I try to ftp ftp.freebsd.org, it can not find it.  As
> well, when I look at the router tables or at the ifconfig -a for tun0, I
> am not able to ping any of the addresses that are in the table or in the
> ifconfig.
>
> I would like to be able to connect to ftp sites so that I can download a
> browser for UNIX so that I can receive mail and also access help on the
> 'Net.  Because it is a home computer, and others must use it, I cannot
> remove Windows (I am not sure that it is causing a problem anyways.)
>
> Any advice as to how to make the connection work properly would be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Patrick Lutz (kellutz@telusplanet.net)

My Waterskiing Pages (Barefoot & Wakeboarding):
    http://waterski.pharamond.com