Date:      Thu, 7 Feb 2002 11:14:17 +0200
From:      Vallo Kallaste <kalts@estpak.ee>
To:        Vadim Klimenko <vadim@Trans-Port.Com.UA>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HP LH 6000

On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 01:38:15PM +0200, Vadim Klimenko <vadim@Trans-Port.Com.UA> wrote:

>     I'm planing SQL server. I choose HP LH 6000 server with 4
>     P-III Xeon CPU 5x18Gb HotSwap RAID. In future I want to extend
>     it to 6 CPU. I need a SUPER STABLE server. Anyone used such
>     configurations in FreeBSD? How It's works? Dealer told me that
>     SUN Solaris support 6 CPU greater than FreeBSD... I don't
>     trust him.... :) but I want 3dr party opinion.

FreeBSD SMP support is plain-and-simply poor for such configuration.
Althought x86 Solaris itself is good for this purpose, you'll
certainly need to check that hardware is certified and Solaris will
make use of all goodies (RAID controller, etc.).
There is no room for games if goes to stable SQL server running on
SMP platform.
--

Vallo Kallaste
kalts@estpak.ee