Date:      Wed, 11 Jun 1997 22:28:55 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Marco Molteni <molter@logic.it>
To:        "Bob Clay, 619/822-0555" <rclay@ucsd.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ifconfig: interface ppp0 does not exist

Hi Bob

On Wed, 11 Jun 1997, Bob Clay wrote:

> When I manually configure PPP via the stand/sysinstall utility, and then
> run the ppp program, I get ppp up and running fine.
>
> When I reboot I get the error message:
> ifconfig: interface ppp0 does not exist

If you want to use ppp, opposed to pppd, you don't need the ppp0
interface, you only need the tun0 interface, so you can disable ppp0 in
the kernel configuration (ie, when you boot, pass the option "-c") and in
/etc/sysconfig.

If you want the ppp0 interface, you have to make a custom kernel (at
least for 2.1.7), which is, anyway, a thing worth doing!!! ;-)
You can find information on how to do this in the handbook, which should
be in /usr/share/doc/handbook

Marco