Date:      Mon, 20 Feb 1995 13:31:32 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.MT.net>
To:        "Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage" <ache@astral.msk.su>, freebsd-current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Alternate solution for libcompat

> Look at libcompat structure, it is well separated,
> maybe it will be nice to make several libcompats from tree,
> i.e. libcompat4.3, libcompat4.4, libregexp, etc.
> We easily avoid conflict pointed by nate in this case.

Yuck!  The purpose of libcompat is to provide *old* interfaces to
programs that haven't yet been updated.  We are making this *way* more
complicated than it needs to be.  The current setup w/out the shlib will
work, and it's easy to program for and understand.  By adding lots of
'compat' libraries it gets very complicated.

Also, the programs that need -lcompat *should* be updated to use the
newer functions, and by leaving libcompat as the junk library, it let's
the programmer who uses them know that those interfaces will go away in
the next major revision of the OS.  (Ex: FreeBSD 3.0 *grin*)

Nate