Date:      Mon, 31 Aug 1998 00:14:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
To:        ac199@hwcn.org
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, obrien@NUXI.com
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/x11-wm/afterstep/pkg PLIST (more bsd.port.mk mods)

 * The bsd.man.mk doesn't need to handle MANLANG, MANxPREFIX, strange
 * manpages such as zzz.3qt, and it doesn't have to repeat the whole
 * mess for generate-plist.  It doesn't allow absolute manpage paths,
 * and it doesn't have a '-' option.  It doesn't do syntax checking
 * nearly as well.

Ok.

 * > Ok, fixed.  This is kinda yucky though.  What's going to happen if the
 * > user uses "pkg_add -p"?
 *
 * Well, I have very little sympathy for a user who is trying to do this.
 * It's simply not supported for binary packages...

It is.  Otherwise, we might as well remove the -p option from pkg_add.

Individual ports (I know, a lot of them) not supporting it is one
thing, but the ports framework (i.e., bsd.port.mk and pkg_* tools) not
supporting it is a whole different thing.

 * However, this new patch tries to avoid it where possible.

Yeah, relative symlinks are cool.

 * I don't know.  Since bsd.man.mk seems to go out of its way to allow
 * inter-section linking, I figured there must be some.  <shrug>

I guess.

 * Well, I was outvoted by a ratio of 2:1 on this (actually, it was also
 * a count of 2:1, but anyways...  :).  The arrows have been toasted
 * altogether.

Cool. :)

 * Just for the record, ls(1) prints arrows from target -> source.
 * Doesn't that strike anyone else as being totally backwards?  <sigh>

But if "A is a symbolic link *to* B", would you write "A -> B" or "B ->
A"? :>

 * - all (_all_) links are now relative symlinks.  This means it is possible
 *   to get something like "check.1 -> ../../../../../../ten/two/zed.1"

It's ok.

 * - if we have "MLINKS=a.1 b.1", then we will "rm -f b.1 b.1.gz" first.

No problem.

 * - a repeated target file may be specified by just a "-".  Eg.
 *   "MLINKS=sanity.1 insane.3	- moon.4	- wolf.5".  This is
 *   useful for ports like devel/ORBacus and print/mp.  It looks nicer
 *   in practice than in example.

Could be.

 * Speed was a consideration, and to further increase the speed, it seems
 * necessary to begin optimizing make(1)...

Cool.

 * If you want patches to test against current ports, I have them for ten
 * ports.  I can't get them right now since they're on bento which isn't
 * allowing my ssh login at the moment.  The ports are listed in
 * /a/tmp/hoek/plist/ports/mlink.ports (or was that "mlinks.ports"?),
 * though.  I can extract patches once bento starts behaving again...

No problem.  I've just tested a couple that I converted myself
(archivers/bzip2 and mail/elm), it seems to work fine.  I'll commit it
after a couple of days if it doesn't melt down.

Satoshi