Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 1999 23:07:07 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
To:        stanb@awod.com (Stan Brown)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Risk of 3.0 -> 3.1 on Multi-Boot machin?

> I have a laptop, that Iuse every day at work. It has 3.o (from the CD)
> on it, and Win95, WinNT using Booteasy, which then calls the NT boot
> manager.
>
> I also have another laptop runing 3.1 (from the CD). Based upon all the
> discussion in this list, I feel that I need to upgrade the 3.0 machine
> to 3.1, Howver, I am _very_ concerned about various (little understtood
> by me) boot issues, that have been discused here.
>
> What should I do to upgrade this amchine, with minimal risk of it not
> working?
>
> I will be happy to provide more details of the machines configuration,
> but I have doen so twice before in this list, and have recieved only 1
> reply.

The question is just too general.  Things are not *supposed* to go
wrong, and where stuff has been foreseen, it is explicitly mentioned
in the documentation.  See all those *.TXT files in src/release/texts
that are included with each release.

>         That person sugested making ceratin I had a bootable disk!.
> Doesn't sound very encouragin.

It's good advice.

> Is Booteasy depricated? Did this ocure between 3.0 and 3.1? Whats the
> deal with the new boot blocks, and when did the change come about.

BootEasy is not deprecated; we're just distributing a workalike
that can be built using the FreeBSD toolchain.

The deal with the new boot blocks is "use them".  They know ELF and
(since sometime between 3.0 and 3.1) the kernel is ELF.

--
Robert Nordier