Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 2000 10:57:08 -0400
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wireless on desktop machines

Mohan Khurana <mkhurana@andrew.cmu.edu> probably said:
> I began researching different wireless solutions.  I found Lucent WaveLAN,
> which is essentially just a PCMCIA card mounted onto a PCI or ISA adapter.
> This would be fine, except for the fact that the prices of these cards are
> still quite high.  The PCMCIA card is $180 retail, and I was unable to
> find a place that sells the adapters online, but I think it is around $60.
> If I get it used, I might be able to get it for $150 for the PCMCIA and
> $50 for the adapter.  This is around $200 for each side of the "bridge"
> between our two networks.  $400 seems like just two much.

The lucent wavelan cards are the bext thing around for multi-system
support.

You can buy cheaper ISA adaptors (I'm afraid I don't have any up to
date pointers, though), and you can use silver cards if you don't care
about encryption which are cheaper.

Don't get the PCI card, it doesn't currently work with freebsd.  If
you can find a dirt cheap laptop that has two pcmcia slots, you could
use that (this is what I did until I bought an airport, recently).

I've seen airports go on ebay for under $300 (their retail cost).  If
you're associated with a university you can get airport base stations
from apple with their educational discount ($20 off, I think).

> Wow, I wrote a lot. :)  Basically what I am looking for is an affordable
> wireless point to point solution, and if there isn't any, then feedback as
> to what I should buy and where I should buy the lucent wavelan products to
> get the best price.

http://www.942wavelan.com/cgi-bin/shoppingcart?cmd=prod_s&prodid=10
http://www.942wavelan.com/cgi-bin/shoppingcart?cmd=prod_s&prodid=6

I've had good luck with cdw.com (when they say next day, they mean it
and I like their support) too although the prices are a little higher,
they have no "processing fee" like 942wavelan.

On a related note, I recently looked at a lucent RG-1000 base station.
Don't buy them - it's the same hardware as an airport in an ugly case
for more money and the official software has fewer configuration
options (it doesn't let you change the SNMP community string, for
example).

If you end up with one, you can treat it like an airport with the Java
configurator and using the default SNMP c.s. of "public".  It messes
with the first 6 characters of the network name, though.

P.

--
pir                  pir@pir.net                    pir@net.tufts.edu