Date:      Wed, 27 May 1998 15:00:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        marc@hippocampus.net (Marc Nicholas)
Cc:        small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: LCDs...

> > You could also drive the parallel connection on Optrex style
> > controllers through the parallel port.
>
> I would imagine this would become timing sensitive, no?

Check Mike's code which I didn't know about.  I assume there
is a minimum setup time before you twiddle a handshake - I've
done this way back and don't remember there being any problems.

> > We use the I2C bus using the access.bus physical TELCO jack pinout
> > for this because these LCDs and buttons eventually run on
> > microcontrollers.  I like this - it daisy chains well so you can
> > have a button module and a display module and click them together.
>
> <dumb question> How do you get an I2C bus on a PeeCee? Can you fake it
> somehow?

You either brute force bit-bang through the parallel port with some
hacked adapter to let you tie together the input and output bits,
or you buy an expensive adapter that has nothing but a PAL and a
Philip's controller chip.  We used to use the parallel port but
now use the controller board - this is for developing and prototyping
the embedded applications and the cost for a few boards is not an
issue.

> I'd be interested in references for I2C buttons...or keypads.

Basically they are home grown using what you'll find in the Philips
data book - we use the parallel to serial converter chip to drive
the Optrex LCD module on output (as you would from the parallel
port) and discrete switches and a rotary encoder / push button on
input, and the LED driver chip to drive LED displays.

Peter

--
Peter Dufault (dufault@hda.com)   Realtime development, Machine control,
HD Associates, Inc.               Safety critical systems, Agency approval