Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 20:54:25 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
Cc:        JT <luser@ahab.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.2 STABLE: libssl.so undef: sk_X509_NAME_value

--cWoXeonUoKmBZSoM

On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 10:10:42PM +0100, Roelof Osinga wrote:
> JT wrote:
> >=20
> > mod_ssl tends to be sensitive to (non-bugfix) changes in openssl and
> > they should usually be kept in sync.  Since openssl is now in the
> > source tree you will probably want to delete any openssl port before
> > rebuilding.
>=20
> You can say that again. Went into the *13-modssl port's ssl subdir,
> deleted the *lo and *so (well, mvd to BACKUP/ actually :), gave
> a make and copied the new one to the designated libexec directory.
>=20
> apachectrl startssl worked forthwith!
>=20
> Makes me think about a) that missing line I found, could be my
> eyesight who knows? and b) what more ports might suffer from this
> very same problem. With which I'm not referring to potential eye
> problems but to sensitivities to openssl changes.
>=20
> Roelof
>=20
> PS I'll not put in a PR since by now I'm not sure about the state
> prior to my patching. Kris'll probably read this sooner or later
> anyway.

The OpenSSL 0.9.6 import which happened some time after 4.2-RELEASE
broke binary compatibility (so you had to recompile certain apps as
you discovered), but I didn't notice because none of the test
applications I used happened to use those functions, and not enough
people bothered to test it when I asked prior to import for it to be
discovered (actually, a few people apparently did notice, but declined
to inform me :-(.  Oh well, I'll be more vigilant in future.

Kris

--cWoXeonUoKmBZSoM

--cWoXeonUoKmBZSoM--