Date:      Mon, 06 Mar 2006 11:45:24 +0000
From:      Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
To:        John <lists@reiteration.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: socket 939 boards with SATA

John wrote:

>Hello list
>
>Can anyone recommend a socket 939 board for use with FreeBSD 6? Does
>SATA work?

Asus A8V Deluxe works.  I won't go so far as to recommend it  - it works
just fine and I am happy with it - but it's now 9 months since I bought
it and I haven't kept up with any developments in the field.  The board
is not SLI, for example (no clue if that's supported yet) and has no
PCI-E PCI-X PCI-Express or other mind-bending variations none of which I
can ever get my head around.

It has two SATA RAID chipsets which I do not (yet) use in RAID mode.
(SATA disks work just fine as long as you controller is supported -
check the hardware compatibility pages on the website and use google).
Everything else that I would hope to work on the board (ethernet, sound,
serial port) works just fine for me.  There are some issues with the
ACPI but it does the basic thing of powering the machine off which is
all I really care about.

This is running 5.4 but I wouldn't expect 6 to break anything
fundamental -- there were issues with RAID0 on the VIA controller in
6.0.  No idea if they are fixed or not and there was an unofficial patch
floating around, if you cared.

--Alex