Date:      Sat, 23 Dec 2006 00:26:30 +0100
From:      Heino Tiedemann <rotkaps_spam_trap@gmx.de>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange fonts in firefox since update to 2.0.0.1

Michael Nottebrock <lofi@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Friday, 22. December 2006 16:56, Heino Tiedemann wrote:
>> Michael Nottebrock <lofi@freebsd.org> wrote:

>> > Like this?
>>
>> I took a screenshot and put it here:
>> <http://rotkap.gmxhome.de/ff-font1.png>;
>>
>> Please take also a look to the URL-line of firefox. It is has a font,
>> where it is difficult to distinguish between "i" and "l".
>
> Seems to be a different font, but essentially the same problem - fontconfig
> chooses an ugly font.

I am now guessing it comes with the kde-update 3.5.4 -> 3.5.5 these
days. After updating kdebase it appears. Konquror also looks
ugly. Even if it show lokal files & folders.

> I guess it depends on the toolkit and selected toolkit

Toolkit?

> theme which font is requested for the line edits - in my case, it seems to be
> plain old "fixed" and fontconfig likes to choose this for me:
>
> [lofi@kiste]:0:~ > fc-match fixed-10
> 12x13ja.pcf.gz: "Fixed" "ja"

here:

rincewind:/home/rotkap> fc-match fixed-10
6x10.pcf.gz: "Fixed" "Regular"

> Fontconfig will use this on my system for both fixed (no size) and fixed-10.
> There's probably a correct way to prevent this, which probably involves
> editing ~/.fonts.conf, but since I reckoned that I'm not going to miss that
> font at all, and I never understood fontconfig syntax and semantics
> completely, I just deleted it - problem solved, here. From looking at that
> screenshot of yours, it seems to be at least a different font for you though.

So, what should i remove from my $HOME?
drwxr-xr-x   2 rotkap  users   512B 25 Jun  2004 .fonts
-rw-r--r--   1 rotkap  users     0B 10 Dez 20:15 .fonts.cache-1
-rw-r--r--   1 rotkap  users   329B 18 Nov  2004 .fonts.conf

Any Ideas what happend on my system?

Heino