Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 17:42:31 +0100
From:      Danny Pansters <danny@ricin.com>
To:        victor.dada@abnamro.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RAID fileserver

Hello,

please don't use an empty subject line, many people will just skip your=20
question because it's not clear what it's about.

On Monday 12 March 2001 16:56, you wrote:
> Are there any utilities to create software RAIDs? Can you install
> FreeBSD on software RAIDs or do you make the RAID after installation?
> Can I make a RAID from a 9 GB SCSI drive and 6 GB IDE drive as a

Yes, FreeBSD has vinum for that. It's a kernel module and yes, it=20
requires an initial "normal" install. You cannot use a vinum volume to=20
boot off (YET), so your root partition might require special treatment=20
if resilience is what you want.

For user data you can easily concat more than one physical disks=20
(raid-o). Vinum can also do raid-1 and raid-5.

See www.vinumvm.org for more info
=20

> single logical drive? If I want to make a file server that can
> service Macs, Windows, Netware, and Unix systems what will have to be
> installed?

I'll leave this for someone else to comment on. For Windows, there's=20
samba, for Macs Appletalk?

Best regards,
=20

Danny Pansters