Date:      Thu, 29 Oct 1998 11:23:31 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Brian Feldman <green@zone.syracuse.net>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, eculp@mexcom.net.mx, "freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Make Release with KERNFORMAT=elf

Brian Feldman wrote:
> What bootloader handles the gzip format? BTX I guess, since libstand has
> zipfs.... but then again, what about the floppy that can't fit BTX, only
> the standard bootblocks? My opinion is kzip should leave, but only when
> something better comes along. I'll look at how small a bare-bones gunzip
> can be.

The new bootloader handles gzip "just fine".  As far as size goes, that's
the eternal problem.

There are other ways around this.  The bootloader supports loading
components, so there's no dire need to have a huge GENERIC kernel on the
floppy containing all the drivers one could ever want.  We could build a
much smaller kernel that contains the most popular drivers and has the
rest loaded via PCI or PnP id matching, either from floppy or the install
media.  Mike is working this sort of thing now it seems.

The odds are pretty good that we will eventually be able to have a boot
floppy containing *nothing* but the boot loader.  It'll load or build a
kernel from cdrom, ftp, http, tftp, nfs, dosfs, etc.

> Brian Feldman

> > > When we do the default cutover to ELF kernels.
> >
> > Though we could always substitute kzip for gzip now, I guess.
> >
> > - Jordan

> > with "unsubscribe freebsd-current" in the body of the message

Cheers,
-Peter