Date:      Mon, 3 Jul 2000 10:49:33 -0700
From:      DAve <dave@pixelhammer.com>
To:        "Ron Smith" <ronnetron@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apache and ssh

On Mon, 03 Jul 2000, Ron Smith wrote:
> Hi All,
>=20
> I've just installed FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE and would like to know if "X" h=
as to=20
> be installed and running before I install and use a  web server (apache=
)?
>=20
No, and you probably don't want X on there if it's to be a webserver.
You are on the right track wanting SSH, you can do all your Apache
set-up/maint via SSH much easier than starting up X and doing it on
the server.=20

> Also, I would like to use 'ssh' on this machine, but when I tryto run t=
he  =20
> deamon, '/usr/sbin/sshd', I get the following error message: =20
> =20
> error: Could not load host key: /etc/ssh/ssh_host_key: No such
>file or  directory=20
>=20
> Does anyone happen to know what this is about? Or, can anyone point me =
in=20
> the direction of some documentation on this?
>=20
Did you finish the SSH install? SSH will prompt you to generate the
key during the make install process, you'll know your there when you
are asked to type randomly on the keysboard to generate some
'randomness'  ;^)

Alternately, if you finished the install properly, are you trying to
start SSH as a user and not as root?

DAve

> TIA=20
> Ron Smith

--=20
"My center is giving way,=20
my right is pushed back;=20
situation excellent,=20
I am attacking." =0D=20
Ferdinand Foch at the Second Battle of the Marne (1918)