Date:      Mon, 27 Sep 1999 21:58:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      daniel B <danielb@pacex.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Kernel brideging causes machine to freeze

Hi;
I have this 'mysterious' problem that persistently causes my machine
(3.3-RELEASE) to freeze when using kernel bridging between nics.

<---ROUTER---*X*-[xl0    fxp0]----[ HUB  ]----[  LAN     ]
                gateway/firewall

*X*  X-over ethernet connection between xl0 and router

The gateway/firewall machine has ipf running and kernel comipled with:
	options	BRIDGE;		and I use:
	'sysctl -w net.link.ether.bridge=1'
in a script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d to start packet briding between xl0 and
fxp0 at startup and this puts xl0 and fxp0 in promiscious mode.
ROUTER is the default router for the whole network.
This setup (a poor man's routing option) does work but the machine keeps
freezing after operating 4hrs to 3 days!  I am forced to do things this
way because I can't route between two interfaces in the same subnet i.e
don't have enough IP addresses.

QUESTION: 1.) If it works why doen't it work all the time?
	  2.)  What can cause the machine to freeze with out a trace of
               error  message or log  over a period of time?
          3.) kernel bridging does not seem to work just by enabling
	      options  BRIDGE in kernel it only works for me when I use
	      sysctl -w net.link.ether.bridge=1  how do I get kernel
              bridging to work smoothly?
Thank you in advance;  I am beat on this one any clues are appreciated

Dan