Date:      Sat, 8 Apr 1995 22:11:22 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: should su retain ${DISPLAY}

As Christoph Kukulies wrote:

> > What do people think about an extension to the su(1) command that
> > retains the ${DISPLAY} variable even across an ``su -''?
>
> Excuse my ignorance: What does su - do? I don't see it documented. It looks
> like it executes roots dotfiles.  I also see $DISPLAY preserved during a
> normal 'su'.

It does not preserve the normal environment, instead it operates
(almost) like a login on the target UID.

> When you su to root from a normal user you can't connect to the server (0:0)
> anyway (unless you have enabled access before - xhost +).

Only if you are using the MIT_MAGIC_COOKIE authentication.  Most of
our users certainly don't, since they work in a more-or-less trusted
environment where host-based authorization is sufficient.
--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/