Date:      Mon, 01 Oct 2012 22:03:48 +0400
From:      Ruslan Mahmatkhanov <cvs-src@yandex.ru>
To:        Li-Wen Hsu <lwhsu@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Marcus von Appen <mva@freebsd.org>, python <python@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Python distribution: switching to tar.xz

Li-Wen Hsu wrote on 01.10.2012 21:51:
> On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 10:10 PM, Marcus von Appen <mva@freebsd.org> wrote:
>>
>> Ruslan Mahmatkhanov <cvs-src@yandex.ru>:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> The python.org ftp provides lang/pythonXX source tarballs in a many
>>> formats:
>>> - tar.bz2
>>> - tar.xz
>>> - tgz
>>>
>>> Using .tgz is not in sports-way this days, so I'd prefer to use tar.xz for
>>> new versions. But I can't actually choose there because tarball format is
>>> hardcoded in Mk/bsd.python.mk as PYTHON_DISTFILE variable:
>>>
>>> PYTHON_DISTFILE=
>>> Python-${PYTHON_PORTVERSION:S/.rc/rc/}.tgz
>>>
>>> And in particular python port we have this:
>>>
>>> DISTFILES=      ${PYTHON_DISTFILE}
>>>
>>> Since I can't just choose tar.xz for some new python33 port, I suggest to
>>> change PYTHON_DISTFILE to use tar.xz and to change all the distinfos for
>>> lang/pythonXX (with changing SHA256/SIZE fields). What do you think?
>>

>> I would rather see PYTHON_DISTFILE removed from bsd.python.mk and being
>> moved back
>> to the individual ports instead. Or, to stay compatible for whatever reason,
>> change
>> it to PYTHON_DISTFILE?= ..., so ports can override it.
>>
>> Or, even better in making things complicated, change it to
>>
>> PYTHON_DISTFILE = ${PYTHON_IMPLTYPE}_${PORTVERSION}${EXTRACT_SUFX}
>>

> I'm not sure introducing ${PYTHON_IMPLTYPE} is a good idea... but it
> might be good to
> change hard-coded .tgz:
>
> PYTHON_DISTFILE= Python-${PYTHON_PORTVERSION:S/.rc/rc/}.tgz
>
> to:
>
> EXTRACT_SUFX?= .tgz
> PYTHON_DISTFILE= Python-${PYTHON_PORTVERSION:S/.rc/rc/}}${EXTRACT_SUFX}

Yes, I also bow to this option.

> then we can define USE_XZ= yes in the ports we want to use xz
> distfile, which handles
> ${EXTRACT_SUFX} and ${EXTRACT_DEPENDS} correctly.  After python26 decommission,
> we can even move this into  bsd.python.mk

python26 distributes in tar.xz too [1]. Or you meant something other?

Ok, so I get the point. I'll prepare an patch that make ${EXTRACT_SUFX}
redefinable for python ports, so we can gradually switch all this ports
to xz. Thanks Marcus and Li-Wen.

[1] http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.6.8/Python-2.6.8.tar.xz

--
Regards,