Date:      Sat, 11 Oct 2014 13:08:09 -0700
From:      Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: What is the philosophy of FreeBSD about the licenses?

On Sat, Oct 11, 2014 at 10:55 AM, Matthew Seaman <matthew@freebsd.org> wrot=
e:

> On 11/10/2014 18:36, fran=C3=A7ai s wrote:

>> What is the philosophy of FreeBSD about the licenses?
>
> On the whole: pragmatic.   Most of the FreeBSD source code uses the
> FreeBSD license (no surprise there), but the project is happy to use
> code licensed under similar terms -- like the MIT or ISC licenses.
> Ultimately the aim is to have the whole system licensed under such terms.

Matthew's comments are sufficient, but I will note that it's easier
for an individual (Theo) to speak authoritatively on behalf of OpenBSD
than it is for someone to do so on behalf of FreeBSD. It's a much more
collaborative project. And it's not necessary to have a position
statement, because the goals are clearly embodied in the roadmap.
GPLv3 has the paradoxical effect of offering a lucid, cogent reason to
get rid of all GPL'd software.

- M