Date:      Sat, 3 Jan 2015 10:16:30 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Leslie Jensen <leslie@eskk.nu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unbound in FreeBSD 10

On Sat, 03 Jan 2015 09:51:08 +0100, Leslie Jensen wrote:
> I did try to replace dig with drill in the scripts. It did not work.
> I'll try your suggestion with a symlink.

There is a certain grade of compatibility, but it may
not be 100 percent identical regarding options or output.

> Your suggestion of using bind has crossed my mind. After reading up on
> unbound I can understand the reason to the change.

On network systems I maintain, I usually tend to install
bind from ports and use that. The advantage is that
scripts using dig will continue working as long as
there isn't too much hardcoded paths. Additionally,
symlinking /usr/bin/dig@ -> /usr/local/bin/dig is
less of a problem than trying /usr/bin/dig@ -> /usr/bin/drill
(simply because it's a different program). The version
in ports is also current and can be updated if required
by the usual means (pkg or portmaster) and can be
maintained independently from the OS.

> I've been goggling for quite a while to find descriptions on how to use
> Unbound but very little useful information has turned up.

I keep using unbound on workstations and home machines
and laptops, for all purposes where I don't need more
than a simple resolver. For everything else, see bind. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany