Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 2000 10:25:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas Good <tomg@mailhost.nrnet.org>
To:        Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
Cc:        Steve <vandena@ispchannel.com>, mattman@mattcave.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The real Unix problem

On Sun, 26 Nov 2000, Cliff Sarginson wrote:

> Mmm. I was going to keep out of this.
> The guy's language and disgustingly homophobic remarks in my
> view make him beyond redemption.
> He needs to get his medication checked, and his attitude

Cliff, I think you may be onto something...

> On the other hand, I suppose by posting all that nonsense to this
> newsgroup maybe he didn't shout at anyone in his personal life
> that day. You never know the therapeutic effect of screaming
> rage at a bunch of people you don't know who are just trying to get
> along and be helpful..
>
> *sigh*

I've heard it said that computers are toys for smart people...I don't
know if this is true or merely a symptom of hubris on the part of the
person making this observation.  But I lean towards the former... ;-)

My 6 year old has tantrums similar to this fellow's initial offering.
(Although with less swearing as he is apparently more articulate...)
He gets a timeout to regain control and an opportunity to rephrase
his request/complain.  Generally, my son's behaviour seems more mature than
this fellow.  At age 6.

If someone gets in my face, venting anger over their own stupidity (which I
define as manifest ignorance) they get *nothing* back from me.
** Negative attention simply reinforces the behaviour.

Finally, getting back to my original point (para 1):  I tend to agree
that some people should not own computers.  After all, I would not give
a lawnmower to the village idiot, for obvious reasons.  And as far as
helping this person:  silence would be very effective as an instrument
of instruction.  Engaging in a 'dialogue' would appear to be about as
effective as entering into a peeing contest with a skunk.  The initial
post reminded me of the phenomenon known as 'road rage' - common here
in New York where some people can't control their vehicles or their
thought process.

Tom
---