Date:      Sun, 07 Nov 1999 20:30:48 -0500
From:      Carroll Kong <damascus@eden.rutgers.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Will Dump, backup to a file?

	Hi.  I am using FreeBSD 3.3-Release, and I wanted to know if I can do this

dump -0 /opt/tmp/varback.dmp /var

(where /opt/tmp is some other free slice)

	The situation is, I have an old celeron machine, and we are getting a new
server.  However, we want to move the freebsd setup we have from an ide
drive to the new scsi drive we are getting.  We do not have a tape
backup.  We just want to copy from one harddrive to another.  So, my
original plan was to boot back up with the old ide drive on the new server,
either using cp -aR or tar the old file systems into the new drive which we
will mount.  Or, just reinstall a fresh freebsd setup on the scsi drive,
and copy back the old data.  However, dump seems to be the real answer
here, however, everyone seems to talk about how it works on tape drives.  I
dont' want to see it wipe out any of my file systems, so I want to make
sure this will work.  Even though everything in UNIX is a file, I am not
sure if it will work?  Thanks in advance.

-Carroll Kong