Date:      11 Nov 2002 12:23:58 -0800
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Ray Kohler <ataraxia@cox.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sysutils/cpuburn lives up to its name

Ray Kohler <ataraxia@cox.net> writes:

> power. The system just does nothing when I push the
> power switch.
> So what needs replaced? The Motherboard? The CPU?
> Something else?

I don't know ACPI/APM, so can't help much.  I did read recently a
comment that a good motherboard's Power-On Self Test will beep a certain
code if it is booted with its CPU (or maybe other parts?) missing,
giving a clue as to whether the problem is the CPU or not.  I'm guessing
that if it does nothing with the CPU and beeps without the CPU, then you
suspect the CPU first, but if it does nothing without the CPU, you
suspect other things first.  But what you suspect first depends on how
easy it is for you to get a temporary or permanent replacement for it.