Date:      Fri, 31 Dec 1999 00:29:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        FreeBSD-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   multiple cd devices

I've been doing a lot of neatening up here, and one of the tasks was to
get both of the cdrom drives I have (one per machine) moved over so that
they are on the same machine.  This was so I can use the one that's a
writer in conjuntion with a reader, and do duplication.

Anyhow, getting the kernel to recognize cd1 was no problem, but getting
/dev/MAKEDEV to do that was a hairy PITA.  I couldn't locate, in either
cd(4) or cd(9), the information on the maj/min numbers, so that I could
just do the mknod's manually, and MAKEDEV would simply do nothing if I
entered './MAKEDEV cd1'.  After *much* screwing about, in desperation
(trying wierd combinations) I did a './MAKEDEV cd2', and *that* made my
cd1 devices (not the cd2 ones, but I didn't have a cd2, I didn't care).

This sounds pretty wrong, I think MAKEDEV is busted for this, right?  And,
if you don't want to have the actual maj/min numbers for the cd devices in
the man pages (because you want Unix unfriendly), well, shouldn't there be
a pointer to a include file that would be up to date with that info, so at
least the info is available somehow?

BTW, all the other MAKEDEV combinations, like cd*, cd1*, cd1a, etc, all
failed noisily, like:

ROOT:/dev:113 >sh MAKEDEV cd1a
[: 1a: bad number
[: 1a: bad number

Chuck Robey                | Interests include C & Java programming,
New Year's Resolution:  I  | electronics, communications, and
will not sphroxify gullible| signal processing.
people into looking up     | I run picnic.mat.net: FreeBSD-current(i386) and
fictitious words in the    |      jaunt.mat.net : FreeBSD-current(Alpha)|
dictionary.                |