Date:      Mon, 27 Aug 2001 23:00:12 -0400
From:      "Mike" <mike@deadmime.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Tyan Tiger + Promise Raid in FreeBSD

------=_NextPart_000_00DE_01C12F4C.07472E90

Hey All,

    I have a machine, Tyan Tiger motherboard, dual 733's with the =
promise ATA100
raid controller built on. I'm using this in a setup with 2 40Gb Western =
Digital drives
in a Raid 0 (mirrored) config. I set the machine up a while ago, so it's =
running
FreeBSD 4.3-BETA (it was the newest version on the cvs tree).

    So, with that aside, I'm having these bad bad problems, where any =
big writes/read
to the disks, are causing the machine to panic and reboot. Nothing =
logged, no errors
just reboots. For example, I tried tar'ing up a 300(ish) meg directory =
yesterday, and
it worked for about ~100 megs, then it rebooted. I thought maybe it had =
something
to do with the fact I had softupdates enabled (softupdates with the =
raid??).. so I
tried disabling that, with no change.

    Now, a friend of mine has the identical board, setup in the same =
config (with
Quantum drives), but is running 4.4-RC.=20
   =20
    Does anybody know if there are any issues with FreeBSD 4.3-BETA and =
the
promise controllers? (I'm just assuming that it is the controller, I =
could be
completely wrong though).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

ps - I'm not actually on the list, so please CC to me!!!

------=_NextPart_000_00DE_01C12F4C.07472E90

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>Hey All,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I have a machine, Tyan Tiger motherboard, dual =
733's=20
with the promise ATA100</DIV>
<DIV>raid controller built on. I'm using this in a setup with 2 40Gb =
Western=20
Digital drives</DIV>
<DIV>in a Raid 0 (mirrored) config. I set the machine up a while ago, so =
it's=20
running</DIV>
<DIV>FreeBSD 4.3-BETA (it was the newest version on the cvs tree).</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; So, with that aside, I'm having these bad bad =
problems,=20
where any big writes/read</DIV>
<DIV>to the disks, are causing the machine to panic and reboot. Nothing =
logged,=20
no errors</DIV>
<DIV>just reboots. For example, I tried tar'ing up a 300(ish) meg =
directory=20
yesterday, and</DIV>
<DIV>it worked for about ~100 megs, then it rebooted. I thought maybe it =
had=20
something</DIV>
<DIV>to do with the fact I had softupdates enabled (softupdates with the =

raid??).. so I</DIV>
<DIV>tried disabling that, with no change.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Now, a friend of mine has the identical board, =
setup in=20
the same config (with</DIV>
<DIV>Quantum drives), but is running 4.4-RC. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Does anybody know if there are any issues with =
FreeBSD=20
4.3-BETA and the</DIV>
<DIV>promise controllers? (I'm just assuming that it is the controller, =
I could=20
be</DIV>
<DIV>completely wrong though).</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Any help would be greatly appreciated.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Mike</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>ps - I'm not actually on the list, so please CC to=20
me!!!</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00DE_01C12F4C.07472E90--