Date:      Sun, 14 Jun 1998 14:16:38 -0700
From:      Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>, FreeBSD-Newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I did it!! Success! Yes!!

As I've discovered today, it's not an easy task to run a named server,
unless I'm going completely in the wrong direction with my hacking
around... I can now ftp from Win95 to the IP address I gave the BSD box
without problems, but can't give it a name (like bsd-box.local.net) and FTP
to that.  Apparently the BSD setup HAS to be registered with the InterNIC
and connect to a name server somewhere on the Internet in order to run
named.  If not, someone direct me to some resources as to how to do it.
I'm hopelessly confused with how to use BIND - is there another way to run
named aside from BIND for people on an intranet and not connected to the
general Internet at all?  If anyone knows, Email me directly, please.

--
My web site starts at http://www.serv.net/~fewtch/index.html -
lots of goodies for everyone, have a look if you have the time.