Date:      Thu, 30 Oct 1997 22:51:25 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        stephen farrell <stephen@farrell.org>
Cc:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, Alfred Perlstein <perlsta@cs.sunyit.edu>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: svgalib?

> Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com> writes:
>
> > If we really wanted we could port it however svgalib brings a support
> > nightmare. What needs to happen is to tie svgalib to the Xfree86 development
> > in such a way that that low level graphic functions from the XFree86 server
> > become available as a library.
>
> What about GGI? SVGALib is on it's way out in the linux world anyway;
> wouldn't it be better to get GGI into freebsd than worry about
> SVGALib, which sucked to begin with?
>
> 	http://synergy.caltech.edu/~ggi/

Just reading up on this, I'm struck with the impression that these guys
are furious that someone else invented X before they did, and did a
better job of it to boot.

There are all sorts of little giveaway signs that this is *not* a
particuarly wonderful thing to be pursuing.  I'd much rather put my
(metaphorical) weight behind DGA.

GGI is also *very* Linux-centric; porting it to FreeBSD would be a Lot
Of Work.

mike