Date:      Sun, 31 Mar 1996 14:48:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      Sujal Patel <smpatel@wam.umd.edu>
To:        Gary Palmer <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape 3.0b2 - Problem Found!

On Sun, 31 Mar 1996, Gary Palmer wrote:

> I normally run tvtwm here, but I just tried fvwm to see (as I know
> that's what Jordan is using, and he has Java working). No luck. It
> won't work under the Xnest server either, not the XF86_SVGA server
> that comes supplied on the 2.1.0 CDROM, nor the one I compiled from
> the linkkit.

I too tried this.  Right now, I just use this to run netscape, and it
works fine:

#!/bin/sh
Xnest -fp /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/ :1 -geometry 1024x768 &
sleep 1
netscape -display :1

It launches another Xserver to waste more memory, but it works.

> Which makes me wonder if there is something OTHER than Window Manager
> / Server choice affecting stuff here. Presence of SHM perhaps (which I
> do have compiled into my BSD kernel) ? Some wacky environmnet
> variable?

SHM is pretty common so I doubt that is the problem.   I've also tried
running this whole mess as root to see if it worked (with no luck), so I
doubt that environment variables have anything to do with it.  Also, Linux
people have this problem too, so I doubt it's us.  I think I'll just use
the Xnest hack until the next beta, and hope that netscape fixes it
(Someone should report this bug to them).

Sujal